Young Saints in winning form

St. Duthus Under 18s have been in great form throughout March, picking up wins away to Nairn County and Keith.

The Highland League North side have been going through an up-turn in form after a stop-start time of it through the bulk of the season due to injuries, including some very serious setbacks, suspensions and Covid-19 complications.

St. Duthus picked up a big three points on the road at Nairn Academy on March 6th. 

Hosts Nairn County took the lead on 24 minutes when Jack Maccormick fired home a rebound after Callum Young rattled the crossbar.

Their lead lasted just six minutes though before Johnie Beattie scored for St Duthus to make it 1-1, firing home the rebound after the home side failed to deal with a free kick.

Young turned scorer, netting ten minutes into the second half. But the Tain side remained undeterred and Beattie struck for a second time on 72 minutes with a cool finish into the top corner.

With both sides chasing a winner, the plaudits were reserved for Alex Mackenzie, who hit a stunning strike to secure the three points for St Duthus in the 92nd minute of the match.

It was a game of two halves at Tain as west met east in the Ross meeting of Ullapool and St Duthus on March 13th.

A four minute barrage shortly after the half hour mark saw Ullapool breeze their way into a three goal lead with strikes from Louis Sears (2) and Shaun Marshall. Sears secured his hat-trick on 57 minutes and it seemed like the job was done for the Wester Ross side.

But a second half comeback was on the cards, and Saints almost drew level with a double from Alex Mackenzie on 75 and 80 mins and a penalty scored by Ryan Quigley four minutes from time. Alas, the game finished 4–3 in the visitors favour.

St. Duthus returned from Keith on March 27th with three points and a memorable 4–0 win with two goals either side of the interval.

The young Saints took just five minutes to break the deadlock and it came via a header from captain Harry Spence, who got on the end of a good delivery from a corner.

They doubled their advantage on 18 minutes through Harris Mackenzie, who again took advantage of a corner kick.

Two goals in the second half rounded off a dominant win for the Tain side, as a long Alex Mackenzie free kick foxed the Keith goalkeeper and a penalty award presented Kyle Finlayson with the simple task of extending the lead from 12 yards.

Other News Items

Social Media

St Duthus FC are proudly sponsored by

St Duthus Football Club © 2016, 2017, 2018 - Site developed by K & N Concepts Ltd